The ground noor consisted of a
1 dining room, cellar, and kitchen with a bake-oven fireplace,
sink and nues for "boilers." The floor
of the dining room and kitchen were
to be made of heart pine. In the wall
of the dining room there was a flue so
a stove could be used for heat.
The second floor was divided into three rooms...one for a large
schoolroom, another for a small
schoolroom, and the third room was
for the "accomodation of a Family."
An entry and staircase was
to separate the large room from the
smaller rooms. The large schoolroom
had a master's seat and desk with enough seats and tables for forty
"scholars." Also detailed...
There were fireplaces in the two small rooms. The flooring was again heart
pine. The third floor was divided into four rooms...one was to have the
same dimensions as the large schoolroom below it, and the two smaller
rooms, with fireplaces in each, were for the family.
The fourth room was "...a Committee or Library) room." The flooring on this
story was "good sap pine."
The "garrets" or attic (the fourth floor) was separated into four rooms.
All rooms in the building, including the attic, were plastered and "sealed"
except the kitchen... plastered but not "sealed."
The roof was "good heart Cedar shingles" with tin gutters and spouts, and
five dormer windows.
A "cupelo" was on the roof with "spear and Vane" and an "Electrick
Conductor projecting from the spear to the ground..."
A well was dug and walled, according to a separate contract between the
Trustees and John Melenefy.
The building was to be finished and painted "on or before the first of May
next" (May 1, 1813).
The memo also stated the terms of wages agreed upon to do certain work, and
also a clause concerning how they would settle any disagreements among
them. Tne matters would be "referred to disinterested Men whose
determination shall be final."
At the bottom of the memorandum, a notation was made about Henry Bowman
donating all the stones for the schoolhouse and "...all the Other Buildings
on the School Lott..."
An insurance survey done for the Green Tree Mutual Assurance Company by
Philip Justus on October 13, 1814, placed an evaluation of $4,600 (1814
dollars) on the schoolhouse. It also gave details of the appearance of the
The woodwork was described as
"plain mantles, surbase, washboard,
and window cased." The entry way
featured an "...Arch head front door
with neat Jambs and archatrives."
Windows were examples of "...12
lights each, glass 8 by 10 inches."
The stairs were defined as "...2 flights
of un newell painted Rampt handrail
Stairs, with half Nails, Close String."
The cupola was "...a neat Square
Cupalo, with venetian Blinds, a Ball,
vane & Electrick Conductor."
This schoolhouse with many rooms and levels was an unique example of public
architecture for its time.