The building also served as a residence for the Headmaster and his family, and other teachers as well. Academy teachers did not have to live with each student's family on a rotational basis, as was customary for those times. They lived and worked in the same place.
Trustees agreed to hire only teachers who
"...unequevocally profess to be a believer of the Purity and Divinity of the Christian Religion as set forth in the New Testament but in all other cases they will give preference Only to such whome they esteem best Qualifyed by theire Moral conduct and Scientifick abilities."
Vintage 1903 photo of the 4th, 5th and 6th grades at the Academy. Total enrollment that year was 78 pupils.