911 New Gulph Road
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
|The Lower Merion Baptist Church was founded in 1808 and built in 1809.It was rebuilt in 1875, and stands on ground given by Charles Thomson. In its burying ground lie veterans of the country's wars, and sixteen descendants of William Penn. |
The cemetery was opened in 1811, with a restriction that stones be placedhorizontally, no more than 18 inches above the ground level. This restrictionwas lifted in 1833. The cemetery has always had an open policy for burials,accepting members of all faiths. A section was set-aside at one time for "strangers and persons of color."
The Merion Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a granite block in 1931 at corner of the cemetery at Old and New Gulph Roads, memorializing the services of Charles Thomson, secretary to the Continental Congress, and soldiers from the township who served in the Revolutionary War. Steps leading to the memorial represent the thirteen American colonies, and were dedicated to the memory of Margaret B. Harvey, a historian and botanist, and Louisa Harley Arnold, mother of Gen. Henry H. Arnold, both members of DAR.
Updated January, 2004